Popular sentiment treats “evolution” as fact and teaches that evolution provides a compelling belief system for the origin of life on this planet. (When I use the term “evolution,” unless otherwise specified, I mean “molecules to man evolution”). There are at least two aspects to evolution: (1) presently observable phenomena, and (2) historical inferences based on a naturalistic worldview to explain the present evidence, what I’ve referred to as “evolution as origins” or “molecules to man” belief. These two aspects of “evolution” should be distinguished from each other when evolution is discussed. Further, I believe there is a tension between these two facets of what we call evolution. Regardless, as explained below, the evolution as origins aspect of evolution is a threadbare belief. Not only is it undeserving of its dogmatic following, it utterly fails to present a basis for Christians to compromise fundamentals of the faith in general and the teachings of the Genesis account in particular.
Some critics of biblical creation create straw men arguments that creationists reject science or that creationists reject evolution. The first charge is generally utterly false—when one is dealing with “observational science” (knowledge gained through direct observation and based on the repeatable test—knowledge that builds our technology). The second allegation is only partially true – we reject “evolution” when it means “molecules to man” belief systems.
The “problem” with Darwinism, like any “good” lie, is that there’s some undeniable truth to it. Specifically, what is called natural selection is not disputed. Darwin’s observation and “discovery” of changes he observed and called natural selection are accurate. Such changes are observable, and entirely consistent with what the Bible teaches concerning kinds.There are observable changes within a kind (or “Family” as kind in most instances probably equates to the “Family” level of classification). The second aspect of Darwinian evolution, i.e. Darwin’s extrapolation of evolution (the observable changes) as the engine for life and the myriad kinds or families over time is, however, highly incompatible with the teachings of Christianity in general and with the Genesis account in particular. Darwin’s ideas based on naturalism (regardless of how a secularist explains it), would mean that in nature there is no design, no purpose, just blind, pitiless indifference, which is exactly how Darwin described it. That assertion and that component of evolution is false and I reject it.
Because Jesus Christ is God, we should give Scripture a strong presumption of validity, from Genesis to Revelation.
Biblical creationists do not reject “observational science.” The conflict is between two different accounts of “historical science.” We therefore come to different conclusions because of our different starting points. It’s not really an argument about evidence. We all observe the same thing. The debate properly presented is about interpretations based on presuppositions.
Is the evidence compelling in favor of materialistic evolution? No. In fact, it’s threadbare, and evolutionists have to come up with secondary and tertiary assumptions to explain why it doesn’t really fit with their evolutionary beliefs. Here’s my “top 10″ evidentiary list concerning evolution and illustrating that observing such in the present does not confirm the belief in evolution, but in fact confirms that the correct starting point to interpret such evidence is God’s Word.
1. You just don’t get there from a plain reading of scripture. What the prophets and Apostles taught under inspiration from the Holy Spirit does not in any way support the evolutionary belief of origins.
2. What is called “Natural Selection” is a demonstrable component of evolutionary belief, but does not add information or complexity to the world. To the contrary, selecting logically necessitates a corresponding elimination.
3. The engine of change, genetic mutation, does not provide compelling evidence of increasing information and the sustainability or complexity of life. A genetic mutation for humans nearly universally means no change (neutral mutations) or detrimental change (death and disease). Many mutations in the natural world result in a loss or impairment of important genetic information. Even the few and far in between ‘beneficial’ mutations, such as antibiotic resistant bacteria, demonstrate offsetting losses. Antibiotic resistant bacteria survive under constraints of the medication but are weaker in a natural, un-medicated environment.
4. There is no mechanism that allows for an organism to change from one kind of an organism to another. Natural selection “selects” from the available genetic information. Genetic mutations generally degrade information or are net-neutral. There simply has been no observed mechanism for “evolving” incredible complexities of information necessary to construct the remarkable features and complexities of life in and around us.
5. Endangered species list: the list exists. The present evidence does not demonstrate the formation of new ‘kinds’ or families over time—even though we have observed a few new ‘species’ within certain kinds. What we see occurring now and in the fossil record is a steady and ongoing rate of extinction. “Natural selection” eliminates life forms; specifically, this process involves the weeding out within species of variations that are not well suited to the present environment. It’s ironic that dinosaurs are held up as iconic for evolution. They are instead irrefutable evidence of an entire kind being wiped out through natural processes – the exact opposite of evolution. The process of natural selection is not creating new kinds or families; it only “fine tunes” kinds and families to their environment by weeding out the unfit. There is no such thing as a new families list. There is a growing endangered species list—which results eventually in entire families becoming extinct.
6. The missing link between man and ape is still missing.
7. Any credible idea how life first started by naturalistic processes of matter is also still missing. Despite well over a century of concentrated intelligent effort, the method for chance or accidental creation of a code system and information system as found in DNA , under conditions purportedly prevalent millions of years ago, have not been discovered.
9. The fossil record does not show eons of steady, incremental evolution. Instead, we find billions of dead things, buried in fairly proximate layers, scattered over all portions of the earth. Evolutionists, based on their specific beliefs, interpret this evidence as an explosion of biodiversity over time. Or, it could be (and in fact is) the record of a worldwide cataclysmic event that killed billions of living creatures in close temporal proximity—a different interpretation based on the revelation in God’s Word concerning the Flood of Noah’s Day, and its various consequences. The slight variations in where the creatures are found in those layers are likely attributable to when they died, and if it was a worldwide flood, also if and when they sank—how they were buried in specific locales.
10. Myths and ancient records. Our ancient “legends” and “myths” are filled with tales of men killing giant lizards. There are stories and pictures of dragons across continents and going back thousands of years:
- A Sumerian story dating back to 2000 BC or earlier tells of a hero namedGilgamesh, who, when he went to fell cedars in a remote forest, encountered a huge vicious dragon that he slew, cutting off its head as a trophy.
- When Alexander the Great (c. 330 BC) and his soldiers marched into India, theyfound that the Indians worshipped huge hissing reptiles that they kept in caves.
- The Norsemen, or Vikings, regularly carved dragon heads into the bows of their boats.
- China is renowned for its dragon stories, and dragons are prominent on Chinese pottery,embroidery, and carvings.
- England and several other cultures retain the story of St. George, who slew a dragon that lived in a cave.
- There is the story of a tenth-century Irishman who wrote of his encounter with what appears to have been a Stegosaurus.
- In the 1500s, a European scientific book, Historia Animalium, listed several livinganimals that we would call dinosaurs. A well-known naturalist of the time, Ulysses Aldrovandus, recorded an encounter between a peasant named Baptista and a dragon whose description fits that of the small dinosaur Tanystropheus. The encounter was on May 13, 1572,
near Bologna in Italy, and the peasant killed the dragon.
- Petroglyphs (drawings carved on rock) of dinosaur like creatures have also been found. See GenesisPark Room 1: the Dinosaurs;Dinosaur Petroglyphs at Natural Bridges National Monument.
- The book of Job, considered by many to be the oldest book in the Bible (circa 1500 BC) discusses creatures that demonstrate the glory of God. The book clearly describes what could be a dinosaur and also a fire-breathing sea dragon—an animal known to the reader. See Job 40:15-18 (something that sounds like a brachiosaur); Job 41 (some form of fierce water dragon).
We do not see nature creating increasing complexities of life and biodiversity. Instead, we observe “nature’s blind indifference” destroying life forms and slowly reducing the total amount of genetic information. The fossil record and present observation suggests there was more biodiversity and total genetic information in the past. That is consistent with the truth: there was a magnificent creation, followed by a fall away from the Creator and a long period of death, decline, suffering and extinction, to include a devastating Global Flood, just as Genesis teaches.